Here’s what I’m reading and enjoying currently:
If you like your horror modern, and combined with the possibilities of technology, then check this out. We’ve heard a lot about AI recently but that’s not what’s going down in this story (at least not yet).
If you like a bit of comedy, check this out. It’s hilarious, and a good companion to the show. Even if you haven’t seen the show on Amazon/HBO Max, check it out. Made me laugh, well done.
Let’s talk Star Wars
They just announced a new Star Wars trilogy. My fingers are crossed… I really hope the new movies feature:
- More Death Stars, maybe even a man-portable backpack shoulder weapon this time… capable of destroying a planet.
- The Milennium Falcon flying through more canyons, tunnels, etc. TIE Fighter pilots are in for a surprise!
- Harrison Ford’s not interested anymore so let’s have CGI versions of Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia… I just can’t let them go.
Sorry. Yes, I’m being terribly sarcastic here. I’m not a nostalgia guy, at all. Here’s what I really hope they do: BURN IT, I SAY! BURN IT ALL DOWN!!! Commence with the blasphemy!
- Blow up the Milennium Falcon. YES, YOU HEARD ME. I’m tired of it. Cut the cord and do something new. Create a new iconic spaceship for our heroes. Speaking of which…
- Make sure these characters are on it when it’s destroyed: Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2D2, Maz Kanata. Yup, I said it. Blow them all away. Ok, ok… maybe let Chewie retire peacefully. Han, Luke, and Leia are gone, We’ve loved and honored them. Now… it’s time for something new. We’ve seen a new character (The Mandalorian) join the Star Wars universe and have interesting, new adventures so it’s completely possible. Hate to say it but… put Boba Fett on the Milennium Falcon too. KA-BLAMMMMM! Good, now let’s get started.
- If I see another Death Star variation, I’m going to be physically ill. We should be running out of planets by now. Sorry, blowing up a Death Star no longer makes you a big deal.
- Rehabilitate the new crew: Rey, Finn, and whats-his-name are all currently forgettable characters because they didn’t connect with audiences the way that Luke, Leia, and Han did. This can still be fixed if the script gives them something compelling to do. Even the best actors can’t make us love a movie with a terrible script.
- Palpatine… yikes, Bringing him back was a lazy, terrible idea. However! Rey as Palpatine’s daughter… there’s something that can be done with that. She’s starting up a new Jedi Order in one of the upcoming movies. If anyone is going to feel the pull of the Dark Side, it’s going to be Rey. Since she’s such a natural (heh), what if she stumbles upon some Dark Side powers during her meditations? What if one of her students is strong in the Dark Side and they explore the possibilities together, leading to the new villain (literally “flirting with the Dark Side”)?
Some of these reviews are late but you can still catch them streaming so here we go.
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves – It’s D&D by way of the MCU but, honestly, not bad for a D&D movie. Was pleasantly surprised by the story, action, and adaptation of the game. I’m spoiled by The Legend of Vox Machina though, which is far better and much close to what playing the game is actually like.
Evil Dead Rise – I will sing the praises of this movie to the hilltops! A chilling, grueling, endurance run of horror. Looked amazing. It kind of misses the doofus swagger of Bruce Campbell, but he’s not in the movie. I’m glad they didn’t introduce a new character trying to be Bruce Campbell, it wouldn’t have worked. Bruce is Bruce. So they upped the horror. Alyssa Sutherland gets my nod for Best Deadite ever.
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Great movie. Visually spectacular and opened with several exhilarating sequences. Awesomely creative version of The Vulture. Dragged in the middle which killed the momentum of the movie but overall I still enjoyed it.
Sisu – Didn’t like this one. I thought it was going to be a Western-style movie set in WW2 Finland. It tried that but meh. If you’re going to copy/homage a Clint Eastwood Man With No Name type character, he has to be clever as well as badass. Finnish Guy With No Name was not clever, he’s just wearing the toughest suit of plot armor I’ve ever watched. Imagine if John Wick was shot through the head, bandaged it up, and then went on fighting. That’s Sisu. No stakes, no point.
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret – Ok so, I didn’t really see this but it’s the best joke in Deadpool.